Posted 8th February 2019 | 2 Comments

RMT digs in over SWR deadlock

Updated 10.30

THE RMT has accused South Western Railway of trying to mislead the public over its attitude to on-train staffing.

Three new strike dates have been announced on SWR, although strikes on Northern over the same issue have been suspended after talks made progress this week.

RMT general secretary Mick Cash said: ‘Once again SWR are playing with words and trying to con the public. Rostering a guard and giving a guarantee that all trains will have a guard on board – the assurance we have had from Northern and other operators – are two completely different things.

‘SWR are trying to create a loophole they can drive an unlimited number of ‎driver only trains through and they know it. They should stop playing games and start getting serious.’

A new vote has also just revealed that 88 per cent of RMT members on SWR support continuing industrial action. Mr Cash added: ‘RMT has been forced under the latest wave of Tory anti-union laws to ballot for a fourth time in the rail safety dispute on South Western Railway under the six month rule and once again our members have stood united and solid and have renewed the mandate to carry on the fight to put public safety before private profit.
 
‘It is a disgrace that South Western Railway have yet again opted to play for time over the past six months rather than acting responsibly and getting round the table with the union to work out a solution to this dispute.’

A South Western Railway spokesman said: ‘We are obviously very disappointed for our customers that the RMT union plans to continue this needless industrial action.

‘We have repeatedly committed to rostering a guard on all our services – the same assurance that seem to have been sufficient for the RMT to suspend its strikes elsewhere in the country earlier this week. No jobs are at risk and our plans over the course of the franchise mean we will need more guards, not fewer.’

A further strike is now planned on SWR on 22 February, with more walkouts set to follow on 9 and 16 March unless negotiations make progress in the meantime.

Although the Northern strikes have been suspended, tomorrow will still follow the now-familiar strike day timetable. Northern said the talks breakthrough had come too late to restore full services until next Saturday, 16 February.

Reader Comments:

Views expressed in submitted comments are that of the author, and not necessarily shared by Railnews.

  • Mark Rice, SURREY

    I'm sorry to say that the last time the RMT guards were on strike, my usual train had a 'supply guard' and could not have been happier. Nice polite service, doors promptly opened at each station, lots of information by a person that was really engaged with the job.
    Let me offer the RMT two pieces of advice.
    FIrstly dont do yourselves out of a job, if the trains run fine without regular guards, then why do you need them? You're proving SWR's point for them and in a years time, the new trains won't need you either.
    Secondly ditch the Tory rants, this comes across as a political dispute, not safety one.

  • Jez Milton, Manchester

    "RMT general secretary Mick Cash said: ‘Once again SWR are playing with words and trying to con the public. Rostering a guard and giving a guarantee that all trains will have a guard on board the assurance we have had from Northern and other operators are two completely different things."

    Yes, the rail service is a lot better if trains can run during disruption with only a driver. We know your game Cash, and it isn't defending safety or helping passengers. Dig in SWR.

Have Your Say

Please read Guidance Notes for Contributors

Submitted comments are subject to approval prior to public posting. Railnews reserve the right to reject, alter or censor any submissions. Railnews also reserve the right to reproduce submissions in any format.

Railnews may, from time to time, send out marketing emails to subscribers and website users. If you would prefer not to receive these emails, please tick this box.